Sunday 21 November 2010

Draft letter from John Ker to the Admiralty, regarding his pension, after leaving the Navy

 9 Fore Row, Hawick
6th March 1863


My Lord
I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 27th alt acquainting me that the Lords commissioners of the Admiralty had been pleased to award me a superannuation allowance of £14 per annum.

By referring to my certificates, copies of which have been sent, your Lordship will observe that I have served, with good character, 3 years and 4 months as 2nd class Assistant Engineer, and 1 year 8 months 16 days as 1st class Assistant, besides 2 1/2 months harbour service, and the "Queens Regulations and Admiralty Instructions" page 23 lead me to infer that I should receive a pension of nearly £19 per annum.

Since being wrecked in HMS "Driver" off the Bahamas in 1861 and the cold and privations consequent thereon, I have lost my hearing to a great extent, and this in itself is sufficient to preclude me from engaging in business. My general health is also completely shattered. I have no means of my own and my widowed mother is unable to support me.

I feel averse to trouble your Lordship and it is only because these circumstances make the matter important to me that I humbly request you will again submit my case to their Lordships for their favourable consideration.

I am your obedient humble servant

signed John Ker

Asst Engineer RN

The Secretary of the Admiralty

No comments:

Post a Comment